beehive-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Eddie O'Neil" <ekon...@bea.com>
Subject Re: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
Date Sat, 28 May 2005 02:42:14 GMT

   One other thing -- if someone (Craig, Noel, Geir, etc) can explain 
otherwise (that we can go -final without having passed the TCK) 
definitely let us know.

   The sooner we do such a release, the better!

Eddie




Eddie O'Neil wrote:
> Jeremiah--
> 
>   It is my understanding after having talked to Craig and others who 
> have been involved in the process of implementing a JSR before that we 
> *can't* do a release of a JSR implementation until the spec is final.
> 
>   At this point, JSR 181 is not final, and as such, we can't say we're a 
> final implementation of it.
> 
>   The process of getting the TCK to pass the Beehive WSM implementation 
> is something that we're starting through the appropriate Apache channels.
> 
>   As far as judging WSM, my understanding is that should be done against 
> the TCK, which means that we need to wait for it to be public before we 
> can pass it.
> 
>   :)
> 
> Eddie
> 
> 
> 
> Jeremiah Johnson wrote:
> 
>> I am not a committer, so I can't vote.  I do have an opinion that I
>> would like to express about the release.
>>
>> In the 'beehive release status' email from May 19, it said that "we're
>> not able to go for a 'Final' release as the JSR 181 TCK is not yet
>> public".  It is unclear when the TCK will be public, so I disagree with
>> the logic of waiting for a final release.  It is unclear (to me) if the
>> TCK will even be for the version of JSR 181 that WSM has been
>> implemented against.  There is a version of the JSR 181 that has been
>> voted final and Beehive WSM has been coded according to the current
>> status of JSR 181.
>>
>> In looking at the JSR 181 status, I see that Sun has been 'assured by
>> the spec lead that both [of their concerns] will be address quickly'.
>> At least one of those concerns (full alignment with JAX-RPC 2.0) will
>> probably result in changes to JSR 181 and the TCK.  If the TCK isn't
>> available now, then it seems logical to me that the Sun changes will be
>> incorporated into the TCK before the TCK becomes public.  (Note that
>> even though I work at BEA - I have no connection to the JSR 181 spec and
>> no idea what the status of the TCK is).  The cycles that seem possible
>> to me could just continue to push 1.0 Final.
>>
>> It seems sensible to me to be voting on going 1.0 and then when the TCK
>> is public and if Beehive can get it, then any incompatibilities should
>> be recorded as bugs.  I say 'if Beehive can get it' because it seems
>> that OSS projects in the past have had trouble getting TCKs and I don't
>> know if that will be the case with the JSR 181 TCK or not.
>>
>> WSM should be judged as best as possible against JSR 181 without the
>> TCK.  If WSM is judged to be in line with JSR 181, then go 1.0; if not,
>> then fix it.  I think that Beehive should be used as a 1.0 release.
>>
>> Those are my opinions.  Kill me now.
>>
>> - jeremiah
>>
>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> From: Eddie O'Neil
>>> Sent: Wednesday, May 25, 2005 11:02 PM
>>> To: Beehive Developers; general@incubator.apache.org
>>> Subject: [vote] beehive v1 milestone 1 release
>>>
>>> All--
>>>
>>>   The blocking bugs have been dealt with and we've been adding
>>> documentation and samples furiously over the last couple of weeks.
>>>
>>>   At this point, I'd like to propose that we release a Beehive 1.0
>>> milestone 1.  The code is ready to go -- though I believe that a few
>>> committers have some outstanding documentation and samples still to be
>>> completed.
>>>
>>>   So, I suggest that we kick the tires of the branch at SVN change
>>> 178556 in beehive/branches/v1/m1 (being created now) and let a few
>>
>>
>> more
>>
>>> doc / sample related checkins trickle in over the next couple of days.
>>> If anyone has concerns about this, please feel free to say so...
>>>
>>>   Tomorrow (Thursday), nightlies will be cut from this branch so that
>>
>>
>> a
>>
>>> binary distribution is also available for download.
>>>
>>>   Given the coming long weekend in the US, this vote will close at
>>> 20:00 (8:00PM) GMT on Tuesday, 05/31/2005.   Should be plenty of time
>>
>>
>> to
>>
>>> take the release out to play.  :)
>>>
>>>   I'll start this off with my +1.
>>>
>>> Eddie
>>>
>>>
>>> =====
>>>
>>> Vote:
>>> [+1] Yes, the release is ready to go from beehive/branches/v1/m1.
>>> [0]  Abstain / not sure.
>>> [-1] No, the release is not ready yet.  If you vote this way, please
>>> provide an explanation why and add what could be done to address your
>>> concerns.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
> 
> 


Mime
View raw message