beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Colwell" <jcolw...@bea.com>
Subject Oneway and WebResult
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 15:53:26 GMT
Hey Wolfgang,

It's great that you are weighing in with questions and suggestions.

When I started looking at the 181 spec I had the impression that the
omission of the WebResult was identical to having a Oneway annotation
thus making the use of Oneway somewhat redundant.  After further review
and discussion, I am thinking that there are in essence two types of
Annotations in the 181 spec, decorative and indicative.  The indicative
annotations such as WebService, WebMethod and Oneway mean something
special simply by existing.  The decorative annotations like WebParam,
WebResult and SOAPBinding will customize behavior if they specify any
values for the annotation members but will revert to the default values
if empty or absent.

Does this view sound reasonable to you?  It makes the Oneway useful as
an indicator that the method should not return a value and WebResult
would only be used to provide a custom name for the value.

Thanks again for jumping into the discussion and if you have questions
or suggestions regarding the WSM implementation put together so far,
don't hesitate to holler.

cheers,

Jonathan