beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonathan Colwell" <jcolw...@bea.com>
Subject RE: checkin request
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:42:23 GMT
Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for writing the shell scripts, I felt bad just tossing out batch
files.

I want to clarify that these scripts do not actually have anything to do
with the AnnotatedJWSHandler but in fact serve an entirely different
purpose as outlined in the second paragraph down.

The AnnotatedJWSHandler (since refactored into the
DropInDeploymentHandler and soon to be removed) is used to compile *.jws
files placed in the AXIS context root and then uses reflection to
examine the annotations and configures the web service accordingly.
This behavior differs from that used by the standard JWSHandler which
predates annotations and must rely on the standard classfile
introspection to configure a web service.  The DropInDeploymentHandler
now can be configured in front of the standard JWS handler to provide
backward compatibility and run both annotated and non-annotated .jws
files in the same context.

The purpose of the dump script is to use Apt to examine the annotations
on a source file and use those annotations to create a deployment
descriptor.  This deployment descriptor is used to deploy web services
outside of the whole AXIS JWS drop-in system.  In this case, the
DeploymentDumper takes the current server-config.wsdd and creates an
annotated-server-config.wsdd.  At the moment, the focus is on the drop
in deployment model so the DeploymentDumper (called by the scripts) may
not be functioning as intended.  I believe any WSDD approach would need
to customize its provider since the resulting web service didn't quite
have the configuration I had intended even when the WSDD appeared to
have most of the customized fields.

The AXIS JWS drop-in model is fairly well fleshed out and supports
nearly all of the JSR-181 annotations, but the DeploymentDumper/WSDD
approach is still in an early stage and is not currently being worked on
(AFAIK) since I'm focusing on the drop-in model at the moment.

Cheers,

Jonathan