beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Ken Tam" <ken...@bea.com>
Subject RE: The Controls Client Manifest
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 18:44:15 GMT
Hey Wolfgang,

Thanks for pointing this out.  This wasn't a concern primarily because
the manifest as defined specifies control implementation class and
interface names, for which localization doesn't apply.  Being able to
use ResourceBundle to load it (and/or resolve alternate locale-specific
versions of the file) isn't really important.  Being able to use
java.util.Properties _is_ important.

That said, the filename convention is by no means carved in stone -- if
you've got a compelling proposal, we should consider it.  My reasoning
for "<classname>.controls.properties" went as follows:

It's a Properties, so it should have a .properties extension.  Given the
manifest's form could change (e.g., it could be expressed in XML), this
seemed a valuable initial discriminator.  We could go with a .mf
extension too, but the format isn't really the same as e.g. manifest.mf.
At the same time, it seemed bad form to hijack <classname>.properties
for the controls model -- that's a little too generic.
"<classname>-controls.properties" or somesuch is inconsistent (why use
"-" as a separator when you're already using "." somewhere else) and
somewhat ugly.