beehive-dev mailing list archives

From "Mike Kaufman" <mkauf...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Oneway and WebResult
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 20:37:39 GMT

I would prefer that whatever compiles the jws also does semantic validation of the jws.  So,
if you drop a jws file into axis, an error related to  the use of the annotations (e.g., WebResult
& Oneway) would be treated in the same way as a syntax error in the file (e.g., missing
semi-colon).  I do not think these semantic checks should be implemented in the deployment
code.  Rahter, they should be implemented in the apt/mirror AnnotationProcessor, and that
should be run when compiling a jws.  If you implement the checks to run on an already-compiled
.class file, then you'll have two different sets of checking logic - one in the deployment
code, and another in the apt/mirror AnnotationProcessor.

All that said, I agree there should be some deployment-time/run-time validation of artifacts
to ensure they are consistent, but I would expect these errors to be pathalogical (i.e., any
user-introduced error should have been detected by the annotaiton processor at compile-time).

My .02,

Mike