beam-user mailing list archives

From eduardo.morales@gmail.com <eduardo.mora...@gmail.com>
Subject Go SDK: Biquery and Legacy SQL
Date Fri, 22 Jun 2018 00:57:51 GMT
I am trying to read a column of type TIMESTAMP, this type is mapped by the bigquery client
to time.Time.  Unfortunately, it is not possible to use time.Time structs because this type
contains slices which are not supported by the beam Go SDK (run fine in the direct runner,
but panic on dataflow).

The workaround I was seeking was to use SQL function UNIX_SECONDS() thus converting the timestamp
to an int64. The problem now is that UNIX_SECONDS is not part of the legacy SQL.

Why brings me to my questions: Why is the Go SDK using Legacy SQL? Is there a technical reason
for this? If I write my own bigquery transform will I regret it if I use Standard SQL?