beam-user mailing list archives

From Eugene Kirpichov <kirpic...@google.com>
Subject Re: CSVSplitter - Splittable DoFn
Date Tue, 24 Apr 2018 21:08:37 GMT
Hi Peter,

Thanks for experimenting with SDF! However, in this particular case: any
reason why you can't just use TextIO.read() and parse each line as CSV?
Seems like that would require considerably less code.

A few comments on this code per se:
- The ProcessElement implementation immediately claims the entire range,
which means that there can be no dynamic splitting and the code behaves
equivalently to a regular DoFn
- The code for initial splitting of the restriction seems very complex -
can you just split it blindly into a bunch of byte ranges of about equal
size? Looking at the actual data while splitting should be never necessary
- you should be able to just look at the file size (say, 100MB) and split
it into a bunch of splits, say, [0, 10MB), [10MB, 20MB) etc.
- It seems that the splitting code tries to align splits with record
boundaries - this is not useful: it does not matter whether the split
boundaries fall onto record boundaries or not; instead, the reading code
should be able to read an arbitrary range of bytes in a meaningful way.
That typically means that reading [a, b) means "start at the first record
boundary located at or after "a", end at the first record boundary located
at or after "b""
- Fine-tuning the evenness of initial splitting is also not useful: dynamic
splitting will even things out anyway; moreover, even if you are able to
achieve an equal amount of data read by different restrictions, it does not
translate into equal time to process the data with the ParDo's fused into
the same bundle (and that time is unpredictable).