beam-user mailing list archives

From Carsten Krebs | GameDuell <carsten.kr...@gameduell.de>
Subject Re: BigQueryIO withFailedInsertRetryPolicy is endlessly retrying "invalid" rows
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2017 21:26:57 GMT
Thanks for your support.
Bug filed for this is https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3271 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM-3271>

Best,

Carsten

> On 28. Nov 2017, at 00:11, Eugene Kirpichov <kirpichov@google.com> wrote:
>
> Upon talking to the BigQuery team, it became clear that this is indeed a bug in BigQueryIO.
This error is not reported via InsertErrors because the InsertAll request specifies the table
once rather than per row, and the table is invalid, so all rows in the batch are invalid.
Beam should handle this.

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 10:48 AM Eugene Kirpichov <kirpichov@google.com <mailto:kirpichov@google.com>>
wrote:
> Hmm, the code doesn't even get to the retry policy because it throws a GoogleJsonResponseException
rather than returning a TableDataInsertAllResponse with InsertErrors in it. I think BigQuery
client library didn't use to throw GoogleJsonResponseException in this case before... I'm
not sure if this is a bug in BigQueryIO, or a bug in BigQuery, or a bug in the BigQuery client
library, or a bug in something else - but overall it is definitely a bug. Would you mind filing
a JIRA to track this at https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BEAM>
?

<mailto:carsten.krebs@gameduell.de>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I currently try to stream data into BigQuery table using Beam. As retry policy for failed
tuples I’m using InsertRetryPolicy.retryTransientErrors() (s.b.). When looking on the code
my expectation was, that that rows written, which caused an error with the reason “invalid”
will not be retried. However what I’m observing is, that these rows are retried over and
over again.

{
>     public PubsubMessage apply(final TableRow _row) {
>             try {
>                 return new PubsubMessage(JacksonFactory.getDefaultInstance().toByteArray(_row),
>                         Collections.<String, String>emptyMap());
>             } catch (IOException e) {
>                 throw new RuntimeException("failed to write to DMQ", e);
>             }
>         }
> })).apply(PubsubIO.writeMessages().to("projects/gameduell-bits-bigquery-poc/topics/dmq"));
>
> Error:
> (1a04bdb0d43aca9c): java.lang.RuntimeException: com.google.api.client.googleapis.json.GoogleJsonResponseException:
400 Bad Request
> {
>   "code" : 400,
>   "errors" : [ {
>     "domain" : "global",
>     "message" : "The destination table's partition rum$20170925 is outside the allowed
bounds. You can only stream to partitions within 31 days in the past and 16 days in the future
relative to the current date.",
>     "reason" : "invalid"
>   } ],
>   "message" : "The destination table's partition rum$20170925 is outside the allowed
bounds. You can only stream to partitions within 31 days in the past and 16 days in the future
relative to the current date.",
>   "status" : "INVALID_ARGUMENT"
> }
>         org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery.BigQueryServicesImpl$DatasetServiceImpl.insertAll(BigQueryServicesImpl.java:774)
>         org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery.BigQueryServicesImpl$DatasetServiceImpl.insertAll(BigQueryServicesImpl.java:809)
>         org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery.StreamingWriteFn.flushRows(StreamingWriteFn.java:126)
>         org.apache.beam.sdk.io.gcp.bigquery.StreamingWriteFn.finishBundle(StreamingWriteFn.java:96)
> Caused by: com.google.api.client.googleapis.json.GoogleJsonResponseException: 400 Bad
Request