beam-dev mailing list archives

From Heejong Lee <heej...@google.com>
Subject Re: XLang sub-graph representation within the SDKs pipeline types
Date Thu, 02 Jul 2020 10:11:14 GMT
On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 7:18 PM Robert Burke <robert@frantil.com> wrote:

> From the Go SDK side, it was built that way nearly from the start.
> Historically there was a direct SDK rep -> Dataflow rep conversion, but
> that's been replaced with a SDK rep -> Beam Proto -> Dataflow rep
> conversion.
>
> In particular, this approach had a few benefits: easier to access local
> context for pipeline validation at construction time, to permit as early a
> failure as possible, which might be easier with native language constructs
> vs beam representations of them.(Eg. DoFns not matching ParDo & Collection
> types, and similar)
> Protos are convenient, but impose certain structure on how the pipeline
> graph is handled. (This isn't to say an earlier conversion isn't possible,
> one can do almost anything in code, but it lets the structure be optimised
> for this case.)
>
> The big advantage of translating from Beam proto -> to Dataflow Rep is
> that the Dataflow Rep can get the various unique IDs that are mandated for
> the Beam proto process.
>
> However, the same can't really be said for the other way around.  A good
> question is "when should the unique IDs be assigned?"

This is very true and I would like to elaborate more on the source of
friction when using external transforms. As Robert mentioned, pipeline
proto refers to each component by unique IDs and the unique ID is only
assigned when we convert SDK pipeline object to pipeline proto. Before
XLang, pipeline object to pipeline proto conversion happened one time
during the job submission phase. However, after XLang transform was
introduced, it also happens when we request expansion of external
transforms to the expansion service. Unique ID generated for the expansion
request can be embedded in the returning external proto and conflicted
later with other unique IDs generated for the job submission.

> While I'm not working on adding XLang to the Go SDK directly (that would
> be our wonderful intern, Kevin),  I've kind of pictured that the process
> was to provide the Expansion service with unique placeholders if unable to
> provide the right IDs, and substitute them in returned pipeline graph
> segment afterwards, once that is known. That is, we can be relatively
> certain that the expansion service will be self consistent, but it's the
> SDK requesting the expansion's responsibility to ensure they aren't
> colliding with the primary SDKs pipeline ids.

AFAIK, we're already doing this in Java and Python SDKs. Not providing a
"placeholder" but remembering which pipeline object maps to which unique ID
used in the expanded component proto.

> Otherwise, we could probably recommend a translation protocol (if one
> doesn't exist already, it probably does) and when XLang expansions are to
> happen in the SDK -> beam proto process. So something like Pass 1, intern
> all coders and Pcollections, Pass 2 intern all DoFns and environments, Pass
> 3 expand Xlang, ... Etc.

Not sure I understand correctly but a following transform who consumes the
output of an external transform needs some information like the output
pcollection information from the expanded external transform during the
pipeline construction phase.