beam-dev mailing list archives

From Melissa Pashniak <meliss...@google.com>
Subject Re: Join the Beam Community Request Email
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2019 06:07:57 GMT
We currently use Jekyll to generate our HTML files, and there are some
plugins and hacks to add multilingual support, but it's not built-in. as I
understand it, It's one of the reasons Kubernetes moved away from Jekyll to
Hugo about a year ago (see their blog post for more details [1] ). They
wanted multilingual support and a language switcher, and after
investigating Jekyll options, settled on Hugo as it comes with built-in
multilingual support [2].

We could try to go the Jekyll plugin route to add additional languages in
Jekyll, but if we want maintainable docs that are in many languages and a
language switcher as a long-term goal, we might want to consider moving.
Either way, we'd need to do some work.

For the Jekyll option, we'd need to (likely):

-  evaluate the existing multilingual plugins, see if they do what we want,
and make any needed code changes
-  I suspect we'll have to change the site directory structure
-  update all of the existing Jenkins jobs to stage/test, and any other
scripts that deal with building the site. this would require someone with
knowledge about how it's all put together with the building and syncing of
the website, and access to the build machines?
- updating the existing local testing/staging scripts for contributors

If we moved to Hugo for built-in support:

- rip out Jekyll and get Hugo set up and configured
- (same as above, but more substantial changes needed) update all of the
existing Jenkins jobs to stage/test, and any other scripts that deal with
building the site. this would require someone with knowledge about how it's
all put together with the building and syncing of the website, and access
to the build machines?
- updating the existing local testing/staging scripts for contributors
- figuring out replacements (IF they don't exist for Hugo) for some of our
Jekyll plugins (for example, github snippet grabber, link checker).
- Hugo uses a different flavor of markdown, so we'll likely need to make
some changes to our markdown files
- Probably other things I am not aware of ;-)

Thoughts?

[1] https://kubernetes.io/blog/2018/05/05/hugo-migration/
[2] https://gohugo.io/content-management/multilingual/