beam-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Bradshaw <rober...@google.com>
Subject Re: Plan for dropping python 2 support
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 09:14:59 GMT
I don't think the second release with robust/recommended Python 3
support should be the last release with Python 2 support--that is
simply not enough time for people to migrate. (Look at how long it
took us...) It does make a lot of sense to at least have one LTS
release with support for both.

Regarding timeline, I think we could safely say we expect to support
Python 2 through 2019, likely for some of 2020 (possibly only via an
LTS release), and (very) unlikely beyond 2020.

On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 6:34 PM Ahmet Altay <altay@google.com> wrote:

> I agree with the sentiment on this thread. Our priority needs to be offering good python
3 support that we can comfortably recommend users to switch. Progress on that so far has been
promising and I do anticipate that we will reach there in the near future.

> My proposal would be, once we reach to that state, we can mark the first subsequent Beam
release as the last Beam release that supports Python 2. (Alternatively: in line with the
previous experimental/deprecated discussion we can make 2 more release with python 2 support
rather than just 1 more.) With the current state, we would not give users plenty of time to
upgrade python 3. So in addition, I would suggest we can consider and upgrade relief by offering
something like a 6-month support on the last python 2 compatible release. We might do that
in the context of an LTS release.

> I do not believe we have a timeline we can share with users at this point. However if
we go with this suggestion, we will probably support python 2 approximately until mid-2020.

> Ahmet
>
> On Wed, Jun 5, 2019 at 4:53 AM Tanay Tummalapalli <ttanay100@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> We can support Python 2 for some time in 2020, but, we should target a date no later
than 2020 to drop support.
>> If we do plan to drop support for Python 2 in 2020, we should sign the Python 3 statement[1],
declaring that we will "drop support for Python 2.7 no later than 2020".

>> In addition to the statement, keeping a target release and date(if possible) or timeline
to drop support would also help users to decide when they need to work on migrating to Python
3.