beam-dev mailing list archives

From Huygaa Batsaikhan <bat...@google.com>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Tracking & Visualizing various metrics of the Beam community
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2018 22:43:50 GMT
Continuing the discussion
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6138d08c551e254b5f13b26c6ba06579a49a4694f4d13ad6d164689a@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E>
about improving Beam code review, I am looking into visualizing various
helpful Beam community metrics such as code velocity, reviewer load, and
new contributor's engagement.

So far, I found DevStats
<https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/12/dashboards?refresh=15m&orgId=1>, an open
source (github <https://github.com/cncf/devstats>) dashboarding tool used
by Kubernetes, seems to provide almost everything we need. For example,
they have dashboards for metrics such as:

   -

   Time to approve or merge
   <https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/44/pr-time-to-approve-and-merge?orgId=1>
   -

   PR Time to engagement
   <https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/14/pr-time-to-engagment?orgId=1>
   -

   New and Episodic PR contributors
   <https://prometheus.devstats.cncf.io/d/14/new-and-episodic-pr-contributors?orgId=1>
   -

   PR reviews by contributor
   <https://k8s.devstats.cncf.io/d/46/pr-reviews-by-contributor?orgId=1>
   -

   Company statistics

It would be really cool if we can try it out for Beam. I don't have much
experience using open source projects. From what I understand: DevStats is
developed by CNCF <https://www.cncf.io/> and they manage their incubator
projects' dashboard. Since Beam is not part of the CNCF, in order to use
DevStats, we have to fork the project and maintain it ourselves.

1. What do you think about using DevStats for Beam? Do you know how it is
usually done?
2. If you are not sure about DevStats, do you know any other tool which
could help us track & visualize Beam metrics?

Thanks, Huygaa