beam-dev mailing list archives

From Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graal instead of docker?
Date Sat, 05 May 2018 06:18:51 GMT

> What docker really buys is a package format and runtime environment that
> is language and operating system agnostic. The docker packaging and
> runtime format is the de facto standard for portable applications such as
> this, and there is a group trying to turn it into an actual standard.
>
> I would agree with you that dockerd has become bloated but there are
> projects that solve that. There is no longer lock-in to dockerd, there
> are package format compatible docker replacements that eliminate the
> performance issues and overhead associated with docker. CRI-O (
> https://github.com/kubernetes-incubator/cri-o) is a really cool RedHat
> project which is a minimalist replacement for docker. I was recently
> working at a startup where I migrated our "data mover" appliance from
> Docker to CRI-O. Our application was able to get direct access to the
> ethernet driver and block devices which enabled a huge performance boost
> but we were also able to run containers produced by docker without
> modification.
>
> You mention that docker is "detail of one runner+vendor corrupting all
> the project and adding complexity and work to everyone". It sounds like
> you have a specific example you'd like to share? Is there a runner that is
> unable to move to portability because of docker?

IBM one for instance, some custom ones like an hazelcast based one, etc...
More generally any runner developped outside beam itself - even if we take
a snapshot today, most of beam's ones have the same pitall.

Note: i never said docker was a bad techno or so. Let me try to clarify.

Main issue is that you enforce docker usage which is still trendy. It is
like scla which was promishing to kill java, check what it does today...
It starts to be tooled but it is also very impacting on the deployment side
and for a good number of beam users who deploy it outside the cloud it is
an issue.
Keep in mind beam is embeddable by design, it is not a runner environment
and with the docker choice it imposes some environment which is
inconsistent with beam design itself and this is where this choice blocks.