beam-dev mailing list archives

From Bill Neubauer <...@google.com>
Subject Re: About the Gauge metric API
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2018 18:39:24 GMT
Thanks for unraveling those themes, Pablo!

1. Seems reasonable in light of behaviors metrics backends support.
2. Those same backends support histogramming of data, so having integer
types is very useful.
3. I believe that is the case, for the reasons I mentioned earlier, Gauges
should only clobber previously values reported by the same entity. Two
workers with the same gauge should not be overwriting each other's values,
only their own. This implies per-worker segmentation.

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 11:35 AM Pablo Estrada <pabloem@google.com> wrote:

> Nobody wants to get rid of Gauges. I see that we have three separate
> themes being discussed here, and I think it's useful to point them out and
> address them independently:
>
> 1. Whether Gauges should change to hold string values.
> 2. If Gauges are to support string values, whether Gauges should also
> continue to have an int API.
> 3. Whether Beam should support some sort of label / tag / worker-id for
> aggregation of Gauges (maybe other metrics?)
>
> -P.
>
> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 11:21 AM Ben Chambers <bchambers@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Gauges are incredibly useful for exposing the current state of the
>> system. For instance, number of elements in a queue, current memory usage,
>> number of RPCs in flight, etc. As mentioned above, these concepts exist in
>> numerous systems for monitoring distributed environments, including
>> Stackdriver Monitoring. The key to making them work is the addition of
>> labels or tags, which as an aside are also useful for *all* metric types,
>> not just Gauges.
>>
>> If Beam gets rid of Gauges, how would we go about exporting "current"
>> values like memory usage, RPCs in flight, etc.?
>>
>> -- Ben
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 11:13 AM Kenneth Knowles <klk@google.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Just naively - the use cases that Gauge addresses seem relevant, and the
>>> information seems feasible to gather and present. The bit that doesn't seem
>>> to make sense is aggregating gauges by clobbering each other. So I think
>>> that's just +1 Ben?

API makes

Perhaps we

This makes it