beam-dev mailing list archives

From Pablo Estrada <pabl...@google.com>
Subject About the Gauge metric API
Date Fri, 06 Apr 2018 15:28:27 GMT
Hello all,
As I was working on adding support for Gauges in Dataflow, some noted that
Gauge is a fairly unusual kind of metric for a distributed environment,
since many workers will report different values and stomp on each other's
all the time.

We also looked at Flink and Dropwizard Gauge metrics [1][2], and we found
that these use generics, and Flink explicitly mentions that a toString
implementation is required[3].

With that in mind, I'm thinking that it might make sense to 1) expand Gauge
to support string values (keep int-based API for backwards compatibility),
and migrate it to use string behind the covers.

What does everyone think about this?

Best
-P.

1 -