batchee-dev mailing list archives

From Scott Kurz <sku...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question on LICENSE(s) for certain modules
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2015 22:50:26 GMT
Thanks Romain and Mark for your responses.

I've been looking into this in more detail and reading through the ASF
guidance such as:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html

Let me please share another observation or two.

Though I do have specific points here I'm also writing to better understand
how the project sizes up and organizes its legal-related dependencies.

1) First, we've noted in this thread there are two types of binaries or
distributable pieces needing a LICENSE/NOTICE.

These are the Maven modules and the three assemblies (the .zip/.gz
archives):

 a) batchee-jbatch-0.2-incubating-dbscripts.zip
 b) apache-batchee-0.2-incubating.zip
 c) apache-batchee-openejb-0.2-incubating.zip

That's all the binary distributables, right?

The LICENSE/NOTICE nested at the Maven module level is a convenient way to
write the correct files into the Maven modules, but maybe we need to go a
bit further for the assembly zips.

For one, I think that the more typical practice would be to write
LICENSE/NOTICE files directly to the archive's root, not merely in
one particular batchee-provided JAR parallel to other JARs in the zip root.

That seems more logical, more in line with what I recall seeing in general,
plus Tuscany seems to do that.

If so, and if b) and c) bundle and ship different content, it might be the
case that the LICENSE/NOTICE files for each are actually different.
(or they could be the same).

This would suggest maybe going beyond merely a module-scoped LICENSE/NOTICE
file and having a separate LICENSE/NOTICE for each distribution.

And obviously for a) the LICENSE/NOTICE would be about as simple as it gets
(maybe this is already done, not sure).

Do you agree?

Some other minor points:

2) I wonder if the JUNG LICENSE/NOTICE files are needed for the
tools/maven-plugin module?

These are not "shipped" or "bundled" in any Maven module or assembly, right?
The Apache doc such as:
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#bundled-vs-non-bundled
seems pretty clear they don't need to be mentioned.

Maybe you were just "playing it safe".

3) Is the reference to the Airlift project in
./tools/cli/src/main/resources/META-INF/NOTICE
correct?

This doesn't have the info at:
https://github.com/airlift/airline/blob/master/notice.md

and this section
http://www.apache.org/dev/licensing-howto.html#mod-notice
seems to say the only need to add to a NOTICE for an ASL 2 project is if
the project itself has its own notice.

Thanks,
Scott