axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Sagara Gunathunga <sagara.gunathu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis2 vs Spring Webservice
Date Tue, 15 Mar 2011 06:10:44 GMT
On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:09 AM, srinivasch <srinv9@gmail.com> wrote:

> My last application had Axis2 web service and used contract last approach. We
> had a new requirement for creating a web service and I used Spring Web
> service. A discussion came up in the meeting that why use Spring WS when we
> already have the required Axis2 libraries to create new web service. I was
> convincing my team because Spring has Contract first approach which is the
> best way of creating and all other best points mention in the chapter 2 of
> the documentation.
>
> But their point was Axis 2 also has contract first.

Axis2 supports equally for both contract first and code first
approaches from its very early stages.

> I would really appreciate anyone since I am really new to web services and
> still learning what is the difference between Axis 2 and Spring WS. I like
> an elaborate answer for our better understanding.

The first factor is spring-ws only supports for contract first while
Axis2 supports for both approaches and much matured. Also Axis2
supports higher number of specs than Spring-ws [1] does and provide
better interoperability with other platforms.

In case of data binding both frameworks supports for wide range of
data bindings.personally I believe Axis2 ADB provides better
performance and WSDL2JAVA tool significantly reduce your development
time in contact first approach where Spring -ws does not provide such
tool.

You can use [2] [3] [4] [5] as references.

[1] - http://wiki.apache.org/ws/StackComparison
[2] - http://wso2.org/library/2873
[3] - http://wso2.org/library/2935
[4] - http://today.java.net/article/2006/08/07/contract-first-web-services-apache-axis2