axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: question on consuming service with lopsided security
Date Sun, 07 Nov 2010 06:30:56 GMT

> Dennis, I've been a contributor to Apache for 10+ years. My comments
> on this list are not about my work - you can try to twist it and say
> that it is because I have a commercial interest in Axis2 but you'd be
> sooooo wrong.

I don't know why you've reacted in this way, but you've disparaged my
professional reputation by accusing me of writing "articles that are
intentionally damaging to Axis2." I'd like to see some substance to back
up that statement.

We both have commercial interests in Axis2. I provide training classes
for CXF and Metro as well as Axis2, but Axis2 gets top billing on my
site because it's been the main focus of my trainings for several years:
http://www.sosnoski.com/wsclass.html#axis2 That aside, I'm genuinely
neutral in my use of the three stacks and can and do provide consulting
and training for CXF and Metro, as well as Axis2. I don't think that's
the case with WSO2.

> In your case you apparently believe there's nothing about Axis2 that's
> special and better vs. CXF or Metro or something else. That's fine too
> dude :).

No, dude, *you're* the one who appears to be claiming that there are
many scenarios where Axis2 is "hugely better than CXF". I don't know
what these scenarios are, and when I've asked for any kind of specifics
you've said you're not going to waste your time helping me figure those
out. So who's spinning a line here?

And just to avoid any misinterpretation, I'm not denying that Axis2 has
its strengths. I think the server deployment, where many different
services can run in a single Axis2 server instance, is one such strength
(at least for users who want to deploy a number of different services on
a single server, while still maintaining individual control over each
service). I've pointed that out in past articles as a feature that sets
Axis2 off from the other stacks.

Axis2 also supports multiple data bindings, which is at least a nice
feature. But that only works when using Axis2's custom code generation
and deployment, while most of the world seems to be moving toward JAX/WS
web service configuration - and Axis2's JAX/WS data binding support is
very limited, supporting only the JAXB data binding and still missing,
as far as I've been able to determine, any direct way to configure
security or other WS-* features for the services.

> If you want to help the world then find ways to improve
> interoperability between various WS-* engines to get every case to the
> point of "it just works".

That's part of what I've been trying to do, in the area of web service
security. Configuration issues (which are what caused my initial bad
claim about Axis2 that started this whole thread) aside, the three open
source Java stacks I've been working with have all done about equally
well in handling my test cases. Where I've found problems I've reported
them, and in at least some cases the problems have already been corrected.

I'm not going to waste any more of my time on this thread, but I'm still
interested if you, or anyone else, wants to point out areas of Axis2
strength that I haven't yet covered in my articles.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
Java SOA and Web Services