axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Amila Suriarachchi <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: axis2 + wsdl 2.0 + REST questions
Date Sun, 09 May 2010 03:54:09 GMT
On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:09 AM, Lev Lvovsky <lists2@sonous.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm running into some issues in using the wsdl2java application when it
> comes to outputting code which is able to communicate with a REST-based
> service.
>
> There are several issues which have come up, so I'll start at the most
> basic and work my way down:
>

> 1.  According to the W3C WSDL documentation, the "service" element is
> optional (http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20/#Description_XMLRep).  However
> whenever attempting to ingest a WSDL without a service element with
> wsdl2java.sh, I get null pointer exceptions:
>
> --
> Exception in thread "main"
> org.apache.axis2.wsdl.codegen.CodeGenerationException:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
>        at
> org.apache.axis2.wsdl.codegen.CodeGenerationEngine.generate(CodeGenerationEngine.java:271)
>        at org.apache.axis2.wsdl.WSDL2Code.main(WSDL2Code.java:35)
>        at org.apache.axis2.wsdl.WSDL2Java.main(WSDL2Java.java:24)
> --
>
> The goal of not including a service element is spelled out in another
> section of the wsdl docs:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/wsdl20-primer/#adv-service-references .  Our service
> is very similar to the example service in that we supply a list of things,
> which include a link to where the details of those things can be found.
>  That link may or may not be a link relative to the initial list service, so
> the idea of just tacking on paths to the original URL as the current service
> element would have us do is not practical.

Axis2 wsdl2java tool assumes a service and binding otherwise it may
complicate the code generation. What you can do is to create a wsdl with a
service and import the correct wsdl to it. you can keep this wsdl only for
generation purposes.

> 2.  When the client makes a request to an unavailable resource (perhaps the
> details for that resource are no longer available), our service responds
> with an HTTP code (for example, 410 GONE), as well as an XML response.  It
> seems that the http transport layer complains before I get a chance to
> inspect the response - I'm assuming that dealing with this problem is a
> matter of working with the behavior of the HTTP transport interface?
>
> 3.  Outside of HTTP server errors - as I mentioned in the previous issue -
> we serve an XML response which details the error.  My understanding from the
> interface element of the WSDL, was that the client could expect to get up to
> 4 possibly different XML responses from the service - infault/outfault and
> input/output.  In testing the response handling of the client, whenever I
> invoke an error from the service, the client complains that it didn't get
> the response which it expected for the output (no error) response.  I'm
> assuming I don't have to wrap the response in something like a SOAP envelope
> to indicate the regular payload versus some fault payload, correct?

for a fault message it is supposed to send a soap fault. And the detail
element should have the element you describes in the wsdl. If you use axis2
it does this automatically.

thanks,
Amila.