axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Shasta Willson <shas...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SSL : setting up truststore (and keystore?)
Date Wed, 24 Jun 2009 02:15:59 GMT
Thought I'd reply to my own message with some information that might be useful:

despite using keytool
(http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/tooldocs/solaris/keytool.html) to
install the certificate, and various combinations of these properties
to theoretically point to it (where keyStore and trustStorePass are
paths to generated files):

           System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStore",keyStore);
           System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.keyStorePassword", keyPass);
           System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStore", trustStore);
           System.setProperty("javax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword",
trustStorePass);

I never did get it to work that way.  (I eventually built an
SSLTest.java that JUST connected so I could eliminate other
configuration issues, but even in that simplified context I couldn't
get it working.)

What finally worked for me (for the SSLTest program) was to put the
certificate into the normal java location and over-write cacerts.  I
could do that since noone else is using Java on this server and this
is the first time I've needed to place a certificate.  i.e. I wasn't
going to break something else in the process.

I found this very useful tool during my research :
http://dreamingthings.blogspot.com/2006/12/no-more-unable-to-find-valid.html

I could have avoided three days waiting for the service-owner to send
a certificate, had I known about it.

Hope that helps someone else save time.

- Shasta