axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <glen.ma...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Trusting entire certificate chain?
Date Fri, 05 Jun 2009 13:36:07 GMT

Thanks for your response and clarification, I wasn't clear of the
consequences of adding the certificate authority alone.

I guess with a Java keystore, if I trust a certificate authority I would
automatically be able to initiate an SSL conversation with any server that
has a certificate issued by that authority. (Although, as you're saying,
without the WS-Security encryption, for which I would still need to
explicitly trust the individual public key of the server to do the
encrypting.) I think that's how web browsers work--I trust VeriSign so I can
make a SSL connection to https://www.mylocalbank.com which uses a VeriSign
cert.  Still, I'm not sure why I wouldn't need to explicitly trust the
individual server's key for transport-layer (https) encryption but still
need to do so for message-layer (WS-Security) encryption--seems arbitrary,
probably something worth testing to confirm.

Regardless, I don't think I need to have the client trust the server's
parent chain of certificates--I'll just stick with the client trusting the
individual server key only.

Thanks,
Glen