axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "J. Hondius" <jhond...@rem.nl>
Subject Re: Webservice designing considerations
Date Mon, 18 May 2009 08:49:03 GMT

We are doing something like that.
 > The complete backend
 > Multiple frontends

Not 100 classes yet, but we will end up with that number.
Our approach was to start small, and develop tools en a 'worksystem'
from there.

We chose to use Axis (in the form of WSO2's WSAS for ease of use)
and POJO's, no bells and whistles, to keep it as free as possible from
any dependencies.

The POJO's are developed as regular libreries.
They can be used for other goals like a destop program.
They also contain special methods that are to be used for 'publishing'
as a webservice.
In the services.xml inside the jar/aar where the pojo's are, only the
public's are exposed.

We describe the 'to be published' methods first, and work from there.
I'm sure that this could be done with a UML modeling tool too.
Some tools (modelmaker?) generate code from the UML.

Designing 100's of classes first would not be my approach though.
We learned a LOT from the first 3 classes that i could never have
thought of beforehand.

POJO's do have drawbacks, but independency and reusability were major
design issues.
Axis and the POJO's performance was better then expected BTW.

Just 2c