axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Tom Mayer <wellkn...@gmx.net>
Subject Webservice designing considerations
Date Sat, 16 May 2009 20:17:47 GMT
Hi List,

I'm at moment in the stage of thinking about how to design a completely
new (in the meaning of no codebase available) webservice...
And I'm really confused now about the best approach. Already took a look
at gsoap, axis2, cxf and few others.

Tutorials are only for webservices with one or two operations. When
completed my service needs few hundred operations. It will be a kind of
customer management application. The webservice should be the complete
backend, not any sort of data export.
There should be one or two frontends implemented for web and windows
completely without business logic. All business logic "exposed" through
webservice.

Ok, this application will be reflected in some UML diagrams containing
about 100 classes. What do you think is the best (in the meaning of
efficient and maintainable) way to write such kind of webservice?

I already tried the way of constructing a webservice with WSDL first
from eclipse WPT. I ended up with one service-skeleton class containing
all web methods and really infinite class names
(com.organisation.project.myclass) (ok there is my package in it, but is
it indispensable to have this complete descriptor before all classnames
in the service implementation?)
Unimaginable to implement all my business logic in this one file.

Is it a better approach to have your application smoothly running with
all it's classes and then constructing the webservice like a wrapper,
which acts like a application invoking the necessary functions from the
complete constructed classes?

I'm dreaming of drawing my UML class diagrams, annotate the specific
methods of every class that should be exposed in the webservice and
getting a nice structured (operation names like classname_functionname)
webservice.

Seems like I didn't got the "service oriented" vs. "object oriented" yet.

Thanks for any suggestsions.

Tom