axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Michael <mtarullo...@optonline.net>
Subject Re: Pub\Sub Web Service
Date Tue, 24 Feb 2009 02:01:19 GMT

  From: Doug Davis
  To: axis-user@ws.apache.org
  Sent: Monday, February 23, 2009 6:51 PM
  Subject: Re: Pub\Sub Web Service

  -Doug
  (919) 254-6905  |  IBM 444-6905  |  dug@us.ibm.com

        Michael <mtarullo463@optonline.net>
        02/23/2009 06:47 PM Please respond to
              axis-user@ws.apache.org

       To axis-user@ws.apache.org
              cc
              Subject Pub\Sub Web Service

  I am developing a publish\subscribe engine and have exposed both the publish and subscribe
services with web services.

  I am looking for advice on how I might implement a push notification.  Since the occurrence
of some event will trigger notification of all users that subscribed to the publication of
that event how do I go about "pushing" the notification back out to the clients from the server?

  I have provided for several options in my design.  I am allowing the subscribers to tell
me how they would like to be notified.  The options I provided are 1) provide an IP address
and port and I will send the notification using java.net; 2) provide a URL and I will send
the notification using java.net; and 3) provide a URL and WSDL file and the name of a web
service method to call and I will use the Axis2 API to generate Java code for the WSDL and
call designated method.  Do these options sound reasonable, particularly the third one?

  Also, I was wondering if the Axis2 asynchronous call capability might be a good candidate
for this, either in addition to these methods or to replace them?

  If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them.

  Thanks, Mike