axis-java-user mailing list archives

From gezhall <ghall12...@hotmail.com>
Subject Axis - return types
Date Thu, 22 Jan 2009 13:51:08 GMT

Hello all.

I'm new to Axis, and have spent some time studying the user guide and
implementing the examples, and it all makes some kind of sense so far!

One thing that is confusing me is the return types of service calls. They
seem to be Axis, or WSDL, representatives of common Java types (String, int
etc.). Surely the end client would want to receive either an Object back
(describing an Order detail, for example) or an xml file doing the same
thing. So far all the examples I have seen simply return a type as mentioned
above, rather than an entire object description.

Surely you don't have to format the xml using your own DTD, and return that
as a String? Axis must be more elegant than that. If you could point me in
the right direction I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.