axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Marc F." <marc.mus...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Axis2 and Tomcat 5.0.28 commons-logging-api
Date Mon, 01 Dec 2008 22:21:45 GMT

I have to point people out about an article written by Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml;
(one of the programmers, maybe the main programmer, that developed Log4j).
Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml; also wrote the book "The complete Log4j manual". So, I
think we can trust the article:

http://www.qos.ch/logging/classloader.jsp Taxonomy of class loader problems
encountered when using Jakarta Commons Logging

This article clarified everything. In my opinion, the article is extremely
important. After running all those examples, now I am capable of
comprehending how, in fact, the classloading mechanism in Tomcat works.
Well, not only in Tomcat, but in Java platform itself as well. The
classloading problem is not limited to a free web container like Tomcat. It
can possibly happen in, for example, WebSphere, or any other commercial
application server. That´s because this problem is not related to the web
container, but to the Java platform itself, actually.

In fact, citing another example, a very common problem when using
webservices, that is also related to the parent/child classloading
relationship is:

java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
javax/wsdl/PortType.getExtensionAttributes()Ljava/util/Map

This problem can happen when a different version of wsdl4j-XXX.jar is placed
in a parent classpath directory, comparing to the version placed in the
child classpath directory. It doesn´t matter how web container, free or
commercial, is being used.

Now I can understand how the classloading mechanism can cause bugs, if it is
not used correctly.

In the Ceki G&uuml;lc&uuml;´s article, it is strongly recommended to NOT
include commons-logging.jar and log4j.jar in the web-applications'
WEB-INF/lib/ directory, if Tomcat is used. Well, although this
recommendation be the best practice, I am not following this rule exactly,
due to some restrictions in my environment. I do include those two jars in
the WEB-INF/lib/ directory (contradicting the recommendation). I just have
to guarantee that those two jars are not in a shared classpath directory
either, that would be a "parent classpath directory" (in Tomcat, it would
be, for example, the [CATALINA_HOME]/shared/lib/ directory). I am sure that
it works without problems because I run all those examples in the Ceki
G&uuml;lc&uuml;´s article and I understood all of them.