axis-java-user mailing list archives

From <Srinivasan.Sai...@gxs.com>
Subject Can web service take file input stream and return file output stream?
Date Tue, 04 Nov 2008 16:24:01 GMT
I have a requirement where in I have to read the contents of a config file (in my web service
) which the client would specify.  I was planning to use SOAP with Attachments (SwA).  But
due to some business level security concern, I was told that I cannot use the attachment feature
(constraint is ... no file should be written to the disk of hosting server).

My question is ... is it possible for a web service to take a file input stream, so that it
can read the file contents (from the client code, the file will be opened and the file input
stream will be passed)

Similarly, is it possible for the service to return a file output stream to the client, so
that the file can be written to the client's machine?

Any pointers / samples would be much appreciated.

Sai (Srinivasan Sairamachandran)
GXS http://www.gxs.com<http://www.gxs.com/>
Srinivasan.Sairam@gxs.com
(248)879-0691