axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Jenny Waters <blackz...@yahoo.com>
Subject Connection refused error in TestClient
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 16:21:11 GMT
Hi,

We are trying to learn axis and we are getting
"connection refused" error on the first sample
program, TestClient:

public class TestClient
{
       try {
           String endpoint =
                    "http://nagoya.apache.org:5049/axis/services/echo";

           Service  service = new Service();
           Call     call    = (Call) service.createCall();

           call.setTargetEndpointAddress( new java.net.URL(endpoint) );
           call.setOperationName(new QName("http://soapinterop.org/",
"echoString") );

           // Call to addParameter/setReturnType as described in
user-guide.html
           //call.addParameter("testParam",
           //                  org.apache.axis.Constants.XSD_STRING,
           //                  javax.xml.rpc.ParameterMode.IN);
           //call.setReturnType(org.apache.axis.Constants.XSD_STRING);

           String ret = (String) call.invoke( new Object[] { "Hello!" }
 );

           System.out.println("Sent 'Hello!', got '" + ret + "'");
       } catch (Exception e) {
           e.printStackTrace(System.err);
       }
   }
}

We examined the archive list for a solution. The most
relevent reference found was related to opening port 5049.

This is from a message posed "2004-02-21 22:01:38":
2. Search the install guide for the words 'connection refused'
http://ws.apache.org/axis/java/install.html

And the paragraph in question is:

"If you get some AxisFault listing, then the
client is working, but the deployment was
unsuccessful. This is where the knowledge
of the sockets API to TCP and the basics
of the HTTP that Web Service development
requires begins to be needed. If you got
some socket error like connection refused,
the computer at the far end isn't talking
to you, so find the cause of that and fix
it. If you get an HTTP error code back find
out what the error means and correct the
problem. These skills are fundamental
to using web services."

In order to remove port blocking, we removed
the router entirely and directly connected to
the cable modem with windows XP firewall
off and still "nagoya.apache.org:5049"
is unreachable. We can telnet successfully
using "telnet nagoya.apache.org 80"
(NOTE: port 80) but "telnet nagoya.apache.org 8080"
and "telnet nagoya.apache.org 5049"
both fail. Webbing to
"http://nagoya.apache.org/axis/services/echo"
results in the expected and stated response:

Not Found

The requested URL /axis/services/echo was not found on this server.
Apache/2.0.58 (Unix) DAV/2 Server at nagoya.apache.org Port 80

We are out of ideas on the cause of the failure.

On a related note, when we used tcpmon,
we noticed that the soap message is
missing and we only see the http header.
Is that normal. We were expecting the
see the soap message envelop at least.

Your help is appreciated.
Jenny