axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Nick Steel <nicholas.stee...@imperial.ac.uk>
Subject Re: Axis2 REST client and server questions (Data bindings, Headers, Performance)
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 13:08:59 GMT

Thanks for your speedy reply Keith.  I have been using the following code to
test today:
String epr =
"http://localhost:8089/NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService";
portal = new NicksGigsServiceV2Stub(epr);
Options options = portal._getServiceClient().getOptions();
options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.HTTP_METHOD,
Constants.Configuration.HTTP_METHOD_GET);

int countResults = getGigsIn("London").length;
System.out.println("Found " + countResults + " results.");

After having another look at the generated stub I can see that POST,
application/XML and a load of other properties are hard coded in each
method.  I had originally assumed that axis would have changed the
CONTENT_TYPE to the correct one for my chosen HTTP_METHOD further down the
line before sending, but (I'm guessing) this doesn't happen in order to
remain flexible.

I just tried adding
options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.CONTENT_TYPE,"application/x-www-form-urlencoded");
to my code which now appends the parameter (great!) but I'm back to one of
my original problems in that it's using "param0" instead of "city" in the
query string.  The request is below.
GET /NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService/getGigsIn?param0=London
HTTP/1.1
Host: localhost:8089

As you can see from my previously attached wsdls (which are generated using
Maven java2wsdl) the getGigsIn element has one parameter called "param0" so
it wouldn't be surprising to find the stub using this parameter name.
However, the wsdl generated at runtime by visiting
...NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService?wsdl (
http://www.nabble.com/file/p19288850/GigListingsService-generated_at_runtime.wsdl
GigListingsService-generated_at_runtime.wsdl ) correctly describes the
parameter as being called "city".  As far as I can tell debug is enabled by
default when using Maven
(http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/compile-mojo.html)
but perhaps it is using a different source to wsdl generated at runtime?
The source class being used is an interface, could this be a problem?

Since my wsdl is generated by Maven, and then client stubs from that to do
testing, during build the idea of having to manually modify the wsdl to
change operations to GET/PUT whatever is a little awkward.  Is it possible
to annotate the Java service class interface used by java2wsdl so that it
can automatically detect which http method is needed for an operation?

I didn't have any experience with web services before I started using Axis2
a couple of months ago so maybe I am missing something here but it would be
handy if in the stubs there was a way to easily change between GET, POST,
PUT and DELETE.  This would then set all the properties you needed for it to
work.  Would this be something possible in the future?

Nick

keith chapman wrote:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Looking through the WSDLs I don't see any reason for the input/output
> types
> in the stub to go missing when generated off a WSDL 1.1 doc. I may have to
> test this to make sure that this is the case though. On the subject of a
> particular operation not working when invoked via GET. In a previous mail
> you said that " I have now generated the httpbindings using wsdl2java with
> version 2.0 wsdl and the operation has been added to the EPR as desired
> and
> I can do POST getGigsIn("London"), POST getMostActiveArtist() and GET
> getMostActiveArtist() without any problems which is great. "
>
> How did you send a GET to getMostActiveArtist()? I assume that you set the
> httpmethod on the options object of the serviceClient to GET (cause the
> stub
> will send a POST by default according to the WSDL). Could you please
> explain
> a bit what you did to send that request. I just had a look at the code and
> when its a GET or a DELETE we use the application/x-www-form-urlencoded as
> the content-type. (BTW which version of axis2 did u use?)
>
> The default WSDL generated by axis2 will have all operations exposed over
> POST with the inputSerialization of application/XML. If you need to change
> this (expose some operations over GET) you may do so by hand editing the
> generated WSDL and using that. This may be better cause you choose which
> method you want to expose your operations under.
>
> Thanks,
> Keith.
>
> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Nick Steel
> <nicholas.steel05@imperial.ac.uk>wrote:
>

>> Keith,
>>
>> Please find both versions of my wsdl attached.  Note that these are the
>> files generated using Maven java2wsdl at buildtime that I then go on to
>> use
>> with Maven wsdl2java to get my client stubs.
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p19285397/NicksGigs.wsdl NicksGigs.wsdl
>> http://www.nabble.com/file/p19285397/NicksGigsV2.wsdl NicksGigsV2.wsdl
>>
>> Ad you can see my wsdl doesn't contain any inputSerialization fields at
>> all.
>> And the method seems to be POST be default, is this the problem?
>>
>> Nick
>>

>> keith chapman wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Nick,
>> >
>> > See My comments inline
>> >
>> > On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:10 PM, Nick Steel
>> > <nicholas.steel05@imperial.ac.uk

>> 2.0
>> POST
>> >

>> > Cool, thats good news.

>> > I've already opened a JIRA against axis2 for the above. The client
>> should
>> > not sent the SOAP action when it is a REST request. Will fix this soon

TCPmon
>> is:
>> >>

>> /NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService/NicksGigsServiceV2/getGigsIn
>> >

>> > Something is obviously wrong here. You cannot send a GET using
>> > application/xml. A get should always be
>> application/x-www-form-urlencoded.
>> > Can yu check your WSDL2 section for this operation please. Does it say
>> > what
>> > its inputSerialization is?

>> /NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService/NicksGigsServiceV2/getGigsIn?city=London

>> > Just answered above ;).

>> so
>> >>

>> > WSDL 2.0 has a much richer That is the reason I recommended you to use
>> > that.
>> > But ?wsdl should have worked as well, we map the properties of ?wsdl to
>> > the
>> > ones of ?wsdl2 during code generation. Is it possible for you to share
>> > your
>> > wsdl and wsdl2 as well.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Keith.

>> up

>> for
>> portal
>> this

>> only
>> this
>> all
>> HTTPBinding.

>> http://mooshup.com/services/samples/RESTSample?wsdl2

REST

>> generated

>> version
>> my
I can
>> (EPR)

>> http://localhost:8089/NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService";
>> >> >>>>

>> //org.apache.axis2.transport.http.HTTPConstants.MEDIA_TYPE_X_WWW_FORM);
>> >> >>>>
>> //options.setProperty(Constants.Configuration.DISABLE_SOAP_ACTION,

>> although

>> GET
>> doesn't

>> WSDL
>> no
>> by
>> parameter

>> Axis2
>> have
>> would
>> the
>> between

>> gets

>> my
>> not

>> simply

that have
request:
HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1

for the Operation not

unable to make
>> any
>> /NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService?param0=London

for the Operation

HTTP/1.1

>> http://localhost:8080/NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService/getGigsIn
>> >> >>>>>>

>> /NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService/getGigsIn?param0=London

>> service

>> http://localhost:8080/NicksGigs-war-Axis2/services/GigListingsService/getGigsIn?city=London

>> stubs.

bindings is not