axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Andrew Clegg" <andrew.cl...@gmail.com>
Subject Multiple services from one WSDL... advice?
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:48:55 GMT
Morning folks, a new Axis2 user here seeking some sage advice.

I'm working on a new WS interface for a scientific compute farm, using
Axis2 to generate server classes from WSDLs. The WSDLs currently
define three services: Submit, Monitor and Retrieve.

Submit offers various operations for submitting jobs of various kinds
to the farm for processing, each of which returns a JobID. Monitor
provides operations for checking the status of jobs, nodes etc.
Retrieve contains operations for getting the results of finished jobs
back in several different formats.

Submit, Monitor and Retrieve are currently separate services but I
would be happy putting them in as separate ports within one service.
Ideally, I'd like to be able to run the code generator once on a
single master WSDL, and generate stubs for all three services/ports --
but this isn't allowed. (At least in 1.3, which we are using -- has
this changed in 1.4?)

So instead I'm planning on keeping them in separate services, and
writing a custom Ant task that runs the code generator three times and
deploys three separate services to the server. Each of the three would
need separate directories for src, resources and bin, in order to
avoid clashes. We're working in Eclipse but don't want to set up
completely separate projects for the three services, because of (a)
the amount of back-end code that'll be shared between them and (b) the
fact that we want to keep them together in Subversion to simplify
versioning.

In your experience, would this work, or can you think of a better way?
Are there any other 'gotchas' I should look out for?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.