axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Nandana Mihindukulasooriya" <nandana....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Rampart interaction with client/provider/STS
Date Fri, 27 Jun 2008 03:08:23 GMT
On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 9:05 PM, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:35 AM, Tim Williams <williamstw@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So far the samples seem to explicitly (through API) retrieve a token
> > from the STS.  I'm wondering whether this can be done declaratively
> > only by way of the policy.  It seems that if I have a policy file
> > exposed within a service's WSDL that states what STS that is
> > acceptable, then the client shouldn't need to get a token through the
> > API?
> >
> > In other words, in code I would expect something like:
> >
> > - setup a ServiceClient for the service provider endpoint
> > - engage Rampart
> > - load the service's policy document
> > - call service
> >
> > and I would expect that based on Rampart's understanding of the policy
> > it would know to retrieve a token from the STS prior to actually
> > making the call to the service provider.
> >
> > If my expectation is wrong, then once I get a token from the STS
> > programmatically, how do i attach it to the actual service call?
>
> It seems my expectation was reasonable, I just tried Rampart 1.4
> sample 06 and essentially does what i wanted.

Yes, in sample 06, Rampart extracts the issuer and the metadata exchange
endpoint from the client policy and first get the security policy related to
STS using medata exchange endpoint. Then it send a Security Token Request,
get the token as you that  as a claim  to the service.

On a side note, sample05 only seems to work *after* I successfully run
> sample06.  If I type ant clean in the sample/policy directory then try
> sample05 it's broken with something about a missing WSSE:Security
> header.

Thanks for the feedback. Will look in to this.

regards,
nandana