axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Anthony Bull <anthony.b...@bcsoft.co.nz>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Performance and scalability for large numbers of services
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2008 00:12:42 GMT
I don't have the answers to this, but one thing to watch is your PermGen
memory for the JVM, we've had to increase this on our Tomcats to handle
lots of web services that have their jars included in the .aar (as
opposed to using common shared jars in WEB-INF/lib).  You get to a point
where your Tomcat or JVM just hangs permanently, often without error
messages.

Dave MacLean wrote:
> Hello,
> We are using Axis2 to host a large number of web services contained in
> .aar archives.  We have some code that will allow users to automatically
> generate new services "on-the-fly" that leverages the hot-deployment
> features in Axis2, and so we end up with potentially large numbers of
> services deployed at a given time.
>
> I was wondering if there have been any scalability tests done, or if
> there is a guideline on approximately how much hardware is needed to
> host X number of services, etc.  I have not been able to find anything
> in the docs or mailing list archives.  Basically, I want to know when we
> might start to run into performance problems, and how many services we
> can realistically expect to host on a single server.
>
> Is there any data available on this?  Anyone else running a similar
> setup that can share their findings?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Dave

Anthony
-------------------------------------
Anthony Bull
Senior Developer
Black Coffee Software Ltd
PO Box 10-192 The Terrace
Wellington, New Zealand

anthony.bull@bcsoft.co.nz
Ph  +64 4 472 8818
Fax +64 4 472 8811
-------------------------------------
www.bcsoft.co.nz
This email may contain confidential or privileged information,
and is intended for use only by the addressee, or addressees.
If you are not the intended recipient please advise the sender
immediately and do not copy, use or disclose the contents to
any other person or organisation.
Black Coffee Software Ltd accepts no responsibility for viruses
received with this email, or to any changes made to the original
content. Any views or opinions expressed in this email may be
personal to the sender and are not necessarily those of Black
Coffee Software Ltd.