axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Veithen <andreas.veit...@skynet.be>
Subject Re: [Axis2] Moving Axis2 code base into JDK 1.5
Date Thu, 28 Feb 2008 23:12:25 GMT

On 27 Feb 2008, at 05:15, Deepal Jayasinghe wrote:

> So if we move to JDK 1.5 we can get better support , and I do not
> think any advantage of staying in 1.4 . If some user want to use
> Axis2 in JDK 1.4 they can happily use Axis2 1.3 , which is very
> stable version and working fine in 1.4 and 1.5.
>
> If any user or developers have any concern on moving to JDK 1.5
> please come forward and reply to this mail that will be very helpful
> for all of us.

Deepal,

Moving to Java 1.5 doesn't necessarily mean to abandon support for
Java 1.4. I am currently working on a project for a company that still
uses Java 1.4 (and I think there are lots of them). We needed a
library to generate MS Project files, but the only one we could find
was from an Open Source project that migrated to Java 1.5 a few
releases ago. The code in this library makes use of generics and has a
dependency on JAXB 2. What we did was to use retrotranslator (http://retrotranslator.sourceforge.net/

) to translate the library as well as its dependencies (including JAXB
2) back to Java 1.4. The tool operates at bytecode level and supports
all Java 5 constructs (generics, enums, annotations, etc.). It also
emulates the most important parts of the Java API. We were able to use
the library to generate MS Project XML files on a Java 1.4 VM without
any problems, meaning that retrotranslator successfully backported the
JAXB 2 RI to Java 1.4! There is also a plugin (retrotranslator-maven-
plugin) that allows to generate Java 1.4 artifacts during Maven
builds. Maybe this could be an option for Axis2?

Regards,

Andreas