axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Amila Suriarachchi" <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [General] Advantages of Axis2 over Axis1
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2008 06:16:26 GMT
On Jan 8, 2008 7:20 PM, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@gmail.com> wrote:

> ADB is based on StAX and is optimized to work with Axiom (the Axis2
> object model). JAXB is not based on StAX so a bit more work is
> required to make it work with Axiom.

I am not exactly sure about what you mean here. With Axiom you can get the
underline
xml stream reader using the getXMLStreamReaderWithoutCaching() directly. So
for all Axis2 databinding frameworks we send this underline stax reader
directly.
On the serialization side Axis2 use OMDataSource and it has this method.
public void serialize(XMLStreamWriter xmlWriter) throws XMLStreamException{

 }
from this method it passes the xmlwriter and to databind framework
serailization logic and Axiom call this
method. So basically any databinding framework dealing with direct
serialization and parsing.

It isn't likely to perform as
> well as ADB, no matter how well it gets optimized.

This is a question I had and I did this performance test in my local
machine. with the wsdl and the request attached using the ab (Apache bench
mark) using 100,000 requests with 4 threads

Axis2 adb 4.570 ms
Axis2 jaxb  8.412ms
Axis2 xmlbeans 8.723ms
CXF jaxb  7.376ms

Comparing Axis2 adb and Axis2 jaxb, ADB is faster and this has a
considerable performance
comparing the CXF jaxb as well.

if you compare Axis2 jaxb performance and CXF jaxb performance the reason
may be what you are saying.
Although we say it parses direct xmlstream reader and writer it may have an
impact on it and the model
CXF use may have reduce this.

But when considering Axis2 adb and jaxb what I thought is this. The
generated jaxb code is a POJO and it
has some annotations on it to help to produce XML. So I think it use some
reflection work at runtime to
figure out the getter and setter method and invoke them.

On the otherhand in ADB it generates the serializing and parse logic and
write it to the bean class it self. (I agree that this make this bean
dirty). But in runtime there is no reflection over head.

This is the main reason I can think of.

Thanks,
Amila.