axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Dennis Sosnoski <...@sosnoski.com>
Subject Re: Real time axis performance - Any case studies available?
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:14:57 GMT
Hi Natraj,

Response under heavy load is going to depend on a number of issues,
including the servlet engine used for deployment. Since you're talking
about payments, security may also be an issue - WS-Security processing
overhead will generally cut your performance by a factor of 2-4x
(depending on the size of your data, and on whether you're using both
encryption and signatures or only encryption). From what I've seen,
though, Axis2 performance is pretty much on a par with other comparable
frameworks (JAX-WS, XFire).

The best way to check performance for your specific requirements is to
mock-up the service and try it out under load. If you return a somewhat
realistic response to somewhat realistic requests you should get a very
good idea of the Axis2 overhead. Then you just need to judge whether
there's enough processor time available for running your actual
implementation code. As far as I'm concerned, doing this kind of test is
a best practice for any applications with specific performance requirements.

  - Dennis

--
Dennis M. Sosnoski
SOA and Web Services in Java