axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Leif Singer <a...@singer.sh>
Subject Classloaders and JPA
Date Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:23:51 GMT
Hello,

I'm trying to implement a simple Axis2 service using JPA. Its only
operation is supposed to take a model object (e.g., a "Person") as its
sole argument and persist it.

I understand that each AAR uses a seperate classloader. Also, I
believe I've read that the libraries I use (JPA, specifically) are
being loaded by a different classloader than my AAR.

The issue I'm having is this:
1. My service implementation can see my model classes and the
persistence.xml.
2. JPA cannot see the persistence.xml in my AAR, no matter where I
place it.
3. JPA cannot see my model classes in my AAR.

I solved this by putting the persistence.xml into Tomcat's axis2/WEB-
INF/classes/META-INF directory and putting my model classes into the
axis2/WEB-INF/classes directory, i.e., outside the AAR.

The trouble I have with this is that I want to have my AAR as self-
contained as possible. I could live with a seperate persistence.xml --
after all, it's configuration -- but would really like to have the
model classes packaged into the AAR and *still* have JPA see them.

Without a JEE container, is there a way to achieve this? What's
considered a good practice to solve this?

I use JiBX for un-/marhalling. I use Hibernate's JPA implementation. I
tried this running in the SimpleAxisServer and Apache Tomcat 5.0.28.

Thanks in advance
   Leif Singer