axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Amila Suriarachchi" <amilasuriarach...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: *SPAM*: 08.50/4.0 - Re: Problem building available services
Date Mon, 08 Oct 2007 08:08:28 GMT
On 10/4/07, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Tuscany is an implementation of the SCA specification, not a web
> services framework. If you would prefer to try a different WSF, you
> might try Apache CXF. I don't know whether it supports Generic Types,
> though.
>
> As a general rule, it's best to avoid directly exposing
> language-specific types through a web services interface, though. The
> purpose of a web services interface is to enable interoperability with
> other languages. Other languages don't support Java collections and
> generics. You want your interface to map easily to the XML type
> system, therefore, your interface should expose simple types, beans,
> and arrays. If you prefer to exploit the power of the Java type system
> within your application -- fine. But use a model similar to DAO to
> provide a layer of abstraction between your interface (simple, flat
> structures) and your internal object model (rich graphs).
>
> If your plan is to only support Java clients, I suggest using RMI
> rather than SOAP.

good point Anne.
The main advantage of  java RMI is that people can use generic collection
classes. therefore they do not need  any intermediate layer and can work
directly with the existing api. But since java RMI uses java specific ( I
think this is vender specific as well) it can not be used to interoperate.
The main addvantage of SOAP (web services ) is that it is interopratable.
i.e an .Net client can access a java service.

So if we invent a new framwork which uses a SOAP protocol to communicate and
gives a similar interface as Java RMI such a  framwork  would give both
advantages to the users.

I agree with what you are proposing. But I think above type of framework
would solve the problem effectivly.

Amila.

Anne