axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Seref Arikan <serefari...@kurumsalteknoloji.com>
Subject Compiling Eclipse plugins: story of my frustration
Date Sat, 06 Oct 2007 14:28:29 GMT
Hi,
I have spent hours trying to get an eclipse project for the axis2 server
archiver plugin, and I have given up finally. The following is the
effort of my summary and my hours lost. I'd appreciate your comments.

There are two readme files that I can refer, and the first one is in the
root of the axis2 source, and the other one is in the tools dir.

The tools dir readme contains two sections, one for maven, and one for
ant. Ok. I have never used ant before, so I tried ant. The instructions
are either not clear, or I'm remarkably stupid. Let me write my comments
under the instructions:

* Since the source for the tools has a dependency on the eclipse
classes. one has to run the
      ant build file (build.xml) to generate a relevant eclipse project
from the source.
Ok, so what do I do here? a simple ant command gives me a list of
operations that I can run, so what does the following sentence mean in
the context of a step by step operation, what command should a user
execute at this step if he is trying to create the projects?

* In order to compile the plugin first you must do a maven create-lib on
Axis2 Source and
      set ECLIPSE_HOME environment variable to point to your eclipse
home directory.

Ok. so I need maven, fine, I download it, and try maven create-lib in
the root source dir, since this is what I get from this sentence. WTF?
there is no maven create-lib. is it mvn create-lib? no it is not, since
maven tells me I need to specify something else, and create-lib is not
meaningful. Ok. so I'm an idiot, and I should try to skip this part,
maybe it works....

* use the ant generate-projects command to generate the plugin projects.
I tried to use it, but I get an error about missing entitities... so I
fail..

I have tried to maven way, but even if I tried to follow the
instructions, maven simply failed everytime, with wonderfully cryptic
errors, for which I could not find a solution after quite a bit of
google search.

Why I need this plugin source? Because the plugin has a problem with
generating aar that uses hibernate POJOs, and I thought I could take a
look at it. After all, I have written a few eclipse plugins, and this is
open source, maybe I can fix it and contribute..

As a result, I have lost hours. I could have gone to another direction
by choosing another web services stack, but Axis2 is what I want to use.
Maybe I'm missing something here, since I'm very nervous due to a tight
deadline, but the overall guidance for the process, in terms of document
is a disaster. At least for me. When I download the source of an
application, I expect to find a brief guidance that tells me where to
look actually, if it does not outline the whole story.

All your comments are appreciated. I'm using many open source tools, and
I have never failed so miserably for a such a simple task. Am I really
this stupid? (sorry, I'm really pissed off)

Best Regards
Seref Arikan