axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Alberto Patino" <pato.lu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [axis2] [IMPORTANT] JDK 1.4 compatibility - feedback requested
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2007 04:56:22 GMT
In our project, I strongly recommended the use of axis2, fortunately,
this projects is totally new, the only concern I had was considering
the use of WebSphere,  corporative rules demand the use of WAS as our
corporate Application Server, So I was very clear asting for the 6.1
release but people is reluctant with websphere 6.1 because the main
reason is that they don't have enough expertise with the newest
release, if I were locked with websphere 6.0 or minor I might not use
axis2 with java5 cause Webshere 6.0 depends on java 1.4.

In the other hand if Axis2 were rewritten with java5 in mind, this
would be an excellent excuse to adopt the use of WAS 6.1 or change it
for another Application Server ;-)

On 8/14/07, Glen Daniels <glen@thoughtcraft.com> wrote:
> Hi Axis2 developers and users!
>
> There has been a bunch of discussion lately revolving around the
> question of JDK1.4 compatibility.  It has been suggested that Axis2 move
> to JDK 1.5, in order to gain the benefits of things like generics,
> built-in concurrency (no backport lib), and annotations.  Some folks
> feel that there are enough people out there still in a 1.4 environment
> that we should hold off, and others think we should bite the bullet and
> move to 1.5.
>
> HERE'S YOUR CHANCE TO PROVIDE VALUABLE INPUT!
>
> Are you using, or planning to use, Axis2 in an environment that is
> locked to JDK 1.4?  If so, please let us know by responding to this
> thread and telling us (if you can) about the particulars of what's tying
> you to 1.4 - is it your app server?  Company policy?  Something else?
>
> We'd really like to take good care of our users, and doing that involves
> figuring out whether we can jump into 1.5-land or if we need to keep
> things working with 1.4.
>
> Thanks,
> --Glen

Don't be evil!!!