axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "robert lazarski" <robertlazar...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Locating Hibernate resources in AAR
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2007 21:03:29 GMT
The whole AAR concept has the purpose - as I understand it - of
allowing a completely seperate classloader for each one of them. Two
advantages immediately come to mind with AAR's.

One advantage is that two classes of the same name and package can be
deployed in one instance of axis2. A single classloader doesn't permit
two classes of the same name and package in it. So in respect to
spring, you can have two or more completely different instances of
spring - even with the same beans - running independently.

The other immediate advantage is the hot deploy of aar's is a big
improvement over what axis1 has, IMHO.

With respect to the first point - the relevant point here - is its a
feature that allows a lot of flexibility. On the other hand, that
flexibility is often not required. What I do most often with spring
and axis2 is simply have the AAR contain just the services.xml and the
wsdl file if there is one in the META-INF dir - and that's it. No
classes, no spring nor hibernate in the aar - nothing. Then I just put
the spring config files in WEB-INF, the spring jars in WEB-INF/lib,
the hibernate files in WEB-INF/classes, and all the Service classes
and its business classes under WEB-INF/classes. And that's all there
is to it - works great if you just have one app running in tomcat.

In other words, the Einstein approach: as simple as possible, but no
simpler. If you really need two or more aar's - you ended up in about
the right place.

HTH,
Robert