axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ***********Performance testing web services************
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 17:17:39 GMT
Vibhor

Generally speaking we test web services the same way we test HTTP
systems. We use a client load driver (such as apachebench, faban,
JMeter, Mercury LoadRunner etc) on a very fast local network.

But - you will say - doesn't this completely ignore network delays and
effects? Yes it does. The first aim is to ensure that the service can
handle the load independent of network latency and delays.

There are ways you can insert latency - for example the tcpmon tool
from Apache WS can add random delays. But in general its more useful
to test the actual scenario - i.e. how long does it take user X from
their own network. And of course you can make approximations based on
knowledge of timings from ping.

Paul

PS did you ever find out what was happening in your previous post?

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org