axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Jarek Kucypera <...@mikrozet.wroc.pl>
Subject Re: Axis2 1.2 sanity check: Can generated POJO service/client handle 0-length array?
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:29:01 GMT
Anne Thomas Manes wrote:

> If your goal is point-to-point integration between a single client and
> server, then the code-first development model is fine. But if your
> goal is to implement a service-oriented system, enable reuse of
> capabilities, reduce redundancy, and increase flexibility and agility,
> then the code-first development model is a bad practice.

Actually we used contract first approach, but it just happened, that
we could afford to write the contract in Java.

> Service-oriented systems require governance of data types and
> semantics. I'm sure you've noticed that if you use the code-first
> approach, then Axis will generate a unique set of types and namespaces
> for your application. Proliferation of schema types will make reuse
> extremely challenging, resulting in reduced flexibility and agility,
> and a complete failure of a SOA initiative.

As we wrote separate interface layer, we could give (and we gave)
descriptive names and namespaces, not reflecting  the guts of our apps.
We just used java instead of wsdl to write interfaces to our apps.

J.K.