axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Duncan Thomson <dunc...@mitre.org>
Subject Re: Need deply new web service in tomcat server.
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 14:18:42 GMT
Praveen Kumar wrote:
> They have  given  URL and web service name and input  string format.
>
> That  means i am client  for that web application.

If you are just trying to code a client, all you need is something to generate "stub" code
that will build a SOAP message, send it for you, and then interpret the response.

There are a couple of ways to do this.  One, as someone else has mentioned, is to use the
Axis tools to generate your stub code.  (You do NOT need to actually have axis deployed to
a web server to do this, you just need to run the client code generation tools.)

Another way is to use an IDE that knows how to create web service clients.  I have not had
good luck with the Eclipse IDE and associated web service development packages.

I suggest you look into using the Netbeans IDE.  If you haven't used Netbeans before, you
will need to spend some time working through the tutorials and getting used to the tool.
However, in my opinion, it's well worth it.  The latest version is Netbeans 5.5.1.  Also download
and install the "Netbeans Enterprise Pack" - or have your sysadmin support do this for you.
 Then, assuming you're programming in Java, just create a new project, and tell Netbeans you
want to add a web service client.  It will ask you for the WSDL of the web service.  This
is probably the URL you have been given.  It should be of the form http://bla.bla.com/ServiceName?WSDL.
 Just give that to the IDE and let it generate all the stub code for you.  You'll then be
able to drag and drop the web services operations into your java code, and it will generate
for you all the details you need to invoke the web service operations.

Others will have different opinions regarding the best IDE to use, but I can tell you that
when it comes to developing web services and web service clients, the latest Netbeans tools
do a very good job.  Depending on your level of experience, expect a few weeks of learning
time, after which you should be able to crank out the code to access web services in, literally,
about 2 minutes.

Good luck.

Duncan