axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Stadelmann Josef" <josef.stadelm...@winterthur.ch>
Subject AW: User guide examples are broken
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 06:13:45 GMT
My comment ++>

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Tom van den Berge [mailto:tom.vandenberge@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Donnerstag, 22. März 2007 13:44
An: axis-user@ws.apache.org
Betreff: User guide examples are broken

Hi,

I'm new to Axis, and I'm trying to get the examples in the user guide working. Unfortunately,
they are broken.

Building and deploying the sample service (MyService.aar) as explained in section "Installing
and testing client code" seems to work fine.

But running the client as explained fails:   axis2 org.apache.axis2.axis2userguide.Client
results in
 "Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: org/apache/axis2/axis2userguide/Client".

++> use an IDE to launch your Client code. IDE's such as NetBeans or Eclips gives you some
burden to learn how to use it.
But otherwhise they manage many of the niffty tricky Classpath settings required to run your
java code. So, are you able to build and debug the SOAPClient from userguide?

Then I tried the approach as explained in the README.txt in the userguide directory.  Deploying
the service using "axis2server.bat" fails with the following stacktrace:

"org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentException: Processing Operations Modules logging module
is invalid or has not been deployed; nested exception is:"

++> copy from C:\axis2-1.1\repository\modules\saple-logging.mar to  C:\Tomcat-5-5\webapps\axis2\WEB-INF\modules\logging.mar
 then stop Tomcat; goto  C:\Tomcat-5-5\logs and clear the log files. Then resatrt Tomcat;
and after a short period watch C:\Tomcat-5-5\logs\stdout_nnnnnn.log; you should now see that
logging was deployed

But since the deployment I mentioned first was successful ( http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/listServices
 <http://localhost:8080/axis2/services/listServices> nicely lists the "MyService" service
as Active) , this shouldn't be a big problem. So I tried running the sample client against
this service deployment:
"ant run.client.blocking", resulting in:

++> which sample client did you use?

"[java] org.apache.axis2.deployment.DeploymentException: Processing Operations Modules logging
module is invalid or has not been deployed; nested exception is:" <<huge stack trace
following>>

++> make sure that logging.mar was deployed corectly (see above)

I became a bit frustrated here :(
Then I found a number of bug reports, raising very similar issues:

 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2040>

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2040
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-1815 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2040>

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-1700 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2040>

Two of them are still open, and one of them is resolved. I've tried today's (21 March) snapshot,
but if fails compiling since it can't find  org.apache.axiom.om.OMElement
, when running "ant run.client.blocking

".

++> I agee with you, some developers have a large amount of open bugs to fix.

Then I followed the helpful advise of another user experiencing similar problems (  <http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-dev@ws.apache.org/msg26819.html>

http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-dev@ws.apache.org/msg26819.html). This allowed me to successfully
deploy the "MyServiceWithModule.aar"
 but I really don't know if I need this service. What's the difference between MyService and
MyServiceWithModule, and which one is the client application using?

++> look at the different service code. you want see a differences in java code. but then
look at each service.xml and study the difference. You will see a few differences.

1. the name of the service is different; even if you would deploy the exact same java class
you can refere to it by a different service name, given in service.xml

2. in service.xml the <parameter name="ServiceClass" locked="false">userguide.example1.MyService</parameter>
is always different

3,. with .1 and .2 with have now a mapping from a service name to class

4. if your service likes to engage a module

 <file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/c770817/Local%20Settings/Temp/services.xml#>
- <service name="MyServiceWithModule">
  <description>This is a sample Web Service with a logging module engaged.</description>

  <module ref="logging" />  so the logging.mar gets referenced here

5. Your client references the wanted service by an end point reference (toEpr) such as
  private static String toEpr = http://alpha1:8080/axis2/rest/MyService;
 and again, to which class MyService goes is stated in the service.xml file deployed with
the MyService.aar for example.

Still, this did not result in a working client application.

Can somebody explain to me, in detail, how to get the user guide (version 1.1.1) example working?

++> I hope it helps a bit, but FLEXIBILITY such as offered with Axis2 has it's price in
learning how to configure the system. OK, I agree, an out-of-box-working-example, would be
good.
BTW: what IDE are you using to develop your code. Did you attempt to use debugging technics
and single step through axis2 client and service examples. Do so, you learn a lot.

Or even better, can somebody make sure that the user guide examples work out of the box? For
people who are new to a technology (like myself to Axis2), simple tutorials and samples are
extremely valuable. Not working examples are extremely frustrating, and quickly result in
loss of confidence in the technology; "If they can't even get the examples working....."

Thanks,
Tom

Regards ++> Josef