axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Stephen Montgomery" <...@sanger.ac.uk>
Subject Problem with array size / message size
Date Tue, 30 Jan 2007 16:55:50 GMT
Hi -

I am having problem with methods with return types of java.lang.String
arrays or objects with arrays as attributes.  I'm hoping someone might
be able to help.

I exported a function called:

public String[] searchRecords(String field, String query) throws
RemoteException;

However, when the size of the String[] array was > 1000 elements (all 11
char in length).  I received the exception

AxisFault
 faultCode:
 faultSubcode:
 faultString: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

However, under this limit everything is fine.  I have tested with both
SOAP::Lite and Axis/Java and receive this error, so it seems to be on
the server side.  I'm not sure why at a certain threshold this error
appears.

I tried to change the String[] return type to a special object called
SimpleArray which had its own serializer / deserializer and then
specificied it as a beanMapping in the wsdd.  (Essentially it hid the
array inside the object when transferred over SOAP)  However, this
experiences the exact same size problem which makes me think that there
is a payload or message size limit restriction and not an error with my
definitions anywhere.  This is reinforced for me since when I first
start the server the first call typically works fine and then all
subsequent calls fail.  I set JAVA_OPTS to -Xmx1000m.  However, I
possibly the machine could be running out of memory.

Any suggestions would be helpful on how to easily increase this limit or
manage these larger transactions (I could simply cat the strings and
separate them at client, but that seems inconvenient for downstream
users).  Or if you think something else is going on.  I am using the
latest Axis release (1.4)

Thanks for the help.

All the best,
Stephen