axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Paul Fremantle" <pzf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Marshalling POJOs
Date Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:06:36 GMT
Angel

If you send XML as a string, Axis will encode it so that it no longer
looks like XML. This allows the other end to treat it as a string.

Apache has a sniffer (http://ws.apache.org/commons/tcpmon/) that you
can use to view the messages on the wire. Its one of the best ways of
understanding SOAP and also debugging.

Paul

On 1/11/07, Angel Todorov <attodorov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Anne,
>
> What do you mean by "send serialized XML" vs. "encoded XML string" ?
> Isn't it possible if i put a TCP/IP sniffer in the middle of the
> client <-> server , to see the SOAP messages in terms of XML ?
>
> Angel
>
> On 1/10/07, Anne Thomas Manes <atmanes@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Neither Axis nor Axis2 send or receive POJOs. As with any web services
> > platform, they send and receive XML messages. But what they can do is
> > automatically map the XML messages to POJOs so that the application
> > can work with Java objects rather than XML. But even if you elect to
> > work with POJOs, there is no requirement for the client and server to
> > share the same class definitions. The only thing that needs to be
> > shared is the WSDL definition.
> >
> > Axis and Axis2 support POJO mapping using Java/XML binding frameworks.
> > Axis includes a built-in Java/XML binding framework that conforms to
> > the binding specificed in the JAX-RPC specification. Axis2 provides a
> > plug-in framework that can support any Java/XML binding framework.
> > Axis2 provides a lightweight binding framework (Axis2 Data Binding
> > [ADB]), but you can also use XMLBeans, JiBX, JAXB, and other
> > databinding frameworks. It can support Castor, too, although I haven't
> > seen anyone implement support for it yet.
> >
> > You really don't want to send/receive the XML as a string, because
> > then it would be serialized as an encoded XML string. What you want is
> > to send serialized XML, (which is what the binding frameworks do for
> > you.)
> >
> > Both Axis and Axis2 permit you to work directly with the XML if you
> > prefer rather than mapping the XML to Java objects. In Axis, you use
> > the "message" style interface, which maps the serialized XML to DOM.
> > In Axis2, you use AXIOM, an XML data model based on StAX.
> >
> > Anne
> >
> > On 1/10/07, Garth Keesler <garthk@gdcjk.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  I know that Axis makes it easy to send/receive pojos (I've never actually
> > > made this work yet but I believe it's true:-) using web services but this
> > > requires that both ends have access to the class definition. I would prefer
> > > to send/receive xml as a string avoiding that requirement, loading/unloading
> > > the xml into an instance of the class in the service. I've read a bit on
> > > Castor but I'm curious if there isn't something built into Tomcat/Axis that
> > > would do this.
> > >
> > >  Thanx,
> > >  Garth

Paul Fremantle