axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Jon Horsman" <hors...@gmail.com>
Subject Array is not supported
Date Wed, 17 Jan 2007 16:22:09 GMT
Hey All,

I'm new to SOAP and axis, and am trying to come up to speed.  I have
been given a wsdl file at work and have been told to investigate how
we could build a web service around it with axis/java.

So far everything is going ok until one of the wsdl files had an array
in it.  I got the following error when trying to use wsdl2java

Exception in thread "main"
org.apache.axis2.wsdl.codegen.CodeGenerationException:
java.lang.RuntimeException:
.
.
.
Caused by: org.apache.axis2.schema.SchemaCompilationException:
{http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/}Array is not supported.

I've done some googling and found "This is not a bug but a known
restriction- we don't support SOAP Encoding style arrays."  Being new
to SOAP i'm not sure exactly what this means.  The wsdl file i was
given has lines like

  <complexType name="ArrayOfFieldIn">
   <complexContent>
    <restriction base="SOAP-ENC:Array">
     <sequence>
      <element name="item" type="ma:FieldIn" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
     </sequence>
     <attribute ref="SOAP-ENC:arrayType" WSDL:arrayType="ma:FieldIn[]"/>
    </restriction>
   </complexContent>
  </complexType>

Its obvious its the "SOAP-ENC:Array" that is causing this problem.
This probably a stupid question, but is there another way to use
arrays with axis, perhaps a non SOAP-ENC type?  How do people work
around the need to use arrays?  I'm being pressed for time to give an
an answer to "can we make this work?" and i'm not sure what that
answer should be.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jon.