axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Sathija Pavuluri" <spavul...@EmprisaNetworks.com>
Subject [Axis2] Serialization of super class elements
Date Wed, 24 Jan 2007 22:56:55 GMT
Hello,

I was surprised by what I found recently while trying to serialize an object along with its
super class' fields.

TheParent {
    a;
    b;
}

TheChild {
    c;
    d;
}

My service class returns an object of TheChild. The generated wsdl defined the complex type
TheChild with elements
a,b,c,d.
Now, when I invoked the web service and inspected the response, a and b (which are from the
parent) are totally
missing in the response.
Looks like the super class fields are not being serialized.
I thought (wishfully expected) axis would handle class hierarchy. Its not to be so.
If the serializer didnt handle this, the generated wsdl probably should not generate a single
complex type because it
is misleading.

Is there a different approach to this or am I off track?
I would hate for the client to have to invoke multiple service calls for each object and put
them together to achieve
the desired result.

Thanks,
Sathija.