axis-java-user mailing list archives

From Deepal Jayasinghe <dee...@opensource.lk>
Subject Re: [Axis2] ServiceLifeCycle.startUp() problems
Date Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:18:44 GMT
Hi Michele;
pls see my comment below;

>Dims,
>
>it was a combination of a wrong assumption and a non-correct
>services.xml (which becomes quite tricky if you want something "non
>standard" because of the out-of-date documentation).

:)

>What is not so clear to me is what is the startUp() method useful for if
>the service runs in application scope.

Nope , it is not  startUp method work irrespective of the scope , as an
example let's say that you want to open up a db connection at the system
start up time and need to use that for all the service invocation , and
further assume that you deploy the service in request scope . Then you
can write the db initialization code inside the startUp method of the
service life cycle class.

>Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I guess using the startUp serves
>only to allow the service instance to be created on start up instead of
>on the first service invocation.

Nope . This is nothing to do with the service impl class as well.
Service impl class is associate with the session , so depending on the
session scope you will have different  number of service impl class.

>So, if the service runs in application
>scope, does it make any difference to put some code into the startUp()
>method instead of putting it inside the service constructor?

it is yes and no answer.
>From the constructor you dont have access to AxisService or any axis
description , but inside startUp you have access to all those.