axis-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aoife Kavanagh (Ext. 987)" <aoife.kavan...@FINEOS.com>
Subject Axis 1.3 and Attachments for Large Docs
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 16:17:58 GMT
Hi,

I'm currently looking to see if sending large PDFs as an attachment using
Axis 1.3 over JMS will reduce the memory spikes that we are currently seeing
on some sites.

If this did work we would be sending SOAP messages over JMS but for
prototyping purposes I'm working with Tomcat 5.5.12
However, I'm getting a bit confused over how exactly to send/receive
attachments.  The Axis 1.3 samples directory contains what I believe are two
samples - attachments and swa.  I'm assuming that swa is SoapWithAttachments
in which case I'm not quite sure what the example in the attachments
directory is.  It seems that the service method called in the attachments
code explicitly passes a DataHandler object as a parameter to the service
call whereas this is not the case for the swa example.

I also have been looking at "Fear of Attachments" from
http://www.mail-archive.com/axis-user@xml.apache.org/msg08732/Fear_of_Attach
ments.pdf which I thought would be helpful but the code samples seem to
assume use of some generated files from WSDL which I wouldn't have, in
particular the section of client code where the attachment (DataHandler) is
added.    In a way similar to this code though I want to be just tag the
attachment on to the service request message.

I apologise in advance if I'm missing something obvious but if if I could
just get clear explanation of differences between ways of sending
attachments indicated by the attachments example and the swa example that
would be great.

Alternatively, if anybody knows that this approach won't solve our problem
then could you let me know with reasoning.  Upgrading to Axis 2 is not an
option at the moment so please don't suggest.

Thanks,
Aoife

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential, may be privileged and is intended

only for the user of the recipient named above. If you are not the intended recipient or a

representative of the intended recipient, you have received this e-mail in error and must

not copy, use or disclose the contents of this e-mail to anybody else.

If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately by return

e-mail and permanently delete the copy you received.  This e-mail has been swept for
computer viruses. However, you should carry out your own virus checks.
Registered in Ireland, No. 205721.  http://www.FINEOS.com